Interview with Hawker-Preneur Keat: Coffee & Chirashi

I met Keat, owner of Coffee & Chirashi, outside his newest café in Choa Chu Kang.

Q: Tell me about your café. 

A: We’ve been here one year. 

Q: I saw another location near Beauty World MRT.

A: In total we have six hawker stalls and two cafés. The café at Beauty World is called Chirashi-Ai. Similar concept as here in Choa Chu Kang. Over there is quite established—it’s been open about two and a half years. 

Q: Are your chefs trained in Japan? 

A: Most of my chefs are internally trained. They have at least one or two years of Japanese food experience.

Q: Are you part-Japanese? (Hāfu ハーフ) 

A: No. I am Singaporean. 

Q: What attracted you to the Japanese motif? 

A: When I was younger I didn’t have enough money to eat Japanese food. Even McDonald’s was “luxury” food for me. So when I grew up, I wanted people, including kids, to have Japanese food without breaking their pockets. Some kids really love Japanese food. They’ll ask, "Mum, can I have Japanese food for dinner?" If the parents [in Singapore] oblige, they’ll have to spend at least 100 [Singaporean] dollars. In my outlets, most items are ten, ten-plus [Singaporean] dollars.

Full interview here

https://open.substack.com/pub/lononaut/p/hawker-preneur-keats-coffee-and-chirashi?r=g5jaj&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web


© Matthew Mehdi Rafat (June 2023)


Disclosures: I received a cup of water during the interview. Several months ago, I accepted a general offer on Coffee & Chirashi’s Instagram to receive two complimentary items in exchange for posting an Instagram story.


Note: This interview has been edited for length and clarity. It is not a verbatim transcript.

Comments

Popular Posts